National University Cancer Institute Singapore
Ward 86, Level 8, Kent Ridge Wing, National University Hospital,
5, Lower Kent Ridge Road Singapore 119074
Telephone: Office: (65) 67725860, Mobile: (65) 91380610
Evidence Utilisation Group Convenor
Ms Dora Lang Siew Ping, RN, Adv Dip (Oncology), BN
Evidence Utilisation Group Members:
1. Dr. Emily Ang, RN, CCNC, ONC, Cert Edu, BN, MN, DNurs
2. Ms Chow Ying Leng, RN, ONC, BHSc (Nursing), PGDipHE
3. Ms Lim Lay Cheng, RN, Adv Dip (Oncology), BN
4. Ms Chen Xiao Juan , RN, Adv Dip (Oncology)
5. Ms Kelly Lai Fu Kui, RN, BN
6. Ms. Chua Chue Teng, RN, BN
National University Cancer Institute Singapore (NCIS) Nursing Evidence Utilisation Group is endorsed by JBI since 2010. The purpose is to improve current clinical practices through clinical audit using JBI Practical Application of Clinical Evidence System (JBI PACES).
To be a reference group for evidence based practice (EBP)
To promote utilisation of best available evidence in clinical practice
1. Disseminate information on EBP within NCIS.
2. Organise monthly evidence based grand round.
3. Facilitate and support EBP within NCIS.
4. Encourage Registered Nurses to participate in EBP project.
Proposed Topics/ Areas of Interest:
1. Central Venous Catheter
2. Fall Prevention
3. Hand Hygiene
4. Management of pain in patients with cancer
5. Pressure Area Care –Turning
6. Bed bathing
7. Vital signs
8. Handover process
Support resources and expertise:
Four members of the utilisation group have completed the Joanna Briggs Institute Clinical Fellowship Program.
Members were given budgeted time to do utilisation project and 0.5 FTE for administration support. Budgeted time was also given for members to write manuscript for publication.
Dr. Emily Ang conducted the first local clinical fellowship program in the National University Cancer Institute, Singapore. This program was commenced in June 2011 and completed in November 2011.
Completed Evidence Utilisation Project 2010:
1. General pain assessment among patient with cancers in an acute setting: a best practice implementation project.
Completed Evidence Utilisation Project 2011:
1. Hand hygiene compliance sustenance program among registered and enrolled nurses in a Haematology-Oncology unit.
2. Nutrition screening among Patients with cancer in an acute care hospital: a best practice implementation project.
3. Correct placement of blood pressure cuff: an evidence utilisation project.
4. Patient handover in the oncology setting: an evidence utilisation project.
5. Maintaining Patency of Central Venous Access Devices by Registered Nurses in an Acute Ambulatory Setting: An Evidence Utilisation Project
6. Hand Hygiene Adherence amongst healthcare providers in the radiation therapy centre: a quality improvement project
7. Bed bathing among adult patients in a private oncology ward within an acute care hospital: a best practice implementation project